Re: An Aroid greenhouse question

system....even though I don't fully understand how you've got it set up.
Is <br>
your chest freezer outside or inside?<br>
Hi Sue,<br>
Sorry that my explanation was so lacking in accuracy.&nbsp; The tank is
inside the greenhouse, and sits on the floor in about the center.&nbsp;
This tank was the inner lining of a chest freezer that I stripped of the
outer metal skin, and all of the insulation.&nbsp; I then washed the
outside with TSP and detergent, rinsed well, and sprayed flat black to
absorb the sun's heat.&nbsp; I did put the tank on a section of 4&quot;
rigid wall insulation trimmed to fit with a knife, to prevent loss of
heat into the substrate.&nbsp; Additionally, I use a small infrared space
heater ($16 at Kmart when I bought it in Oct., '96) that is propane
fired, placed 1 foot away from the end of the tank and aimed directly at
it.&nbsp; This is only fired up when the temperature drops below 45
degrees more or less, and works great.&nbsp; The heat that is absorbed by
the water through the tank walls is even and more equally distributed by
radiation rather than heading straight up. <br>
I have an economical method of keeping the water temperature even
throughout the tank at all times, but don't want to bore everyone with
I can draw a diagram and scan it, but being rather new to this dumb
machine, I'm not sure how long it will take me to figure out how to post
it.&nbsp; If you are in a hurry, send me your snail mail address and I'll
send you a copy.<br>
Someone did mention that the longer the stove vent pipt, the more heat is
captured.&nbsp; Be careful though, the exhaust gasses must be hot enough
to be vented out.&nbsp; Building codes are based upon these requirements
for safety.&nbsp; The non-vented greenhouse heater is an easier and
better ( in my opinion) way to go.&nbsp; I also keep some livestock in my
greenhouse in addition to the fish in the tank.<br>
Keep having fun!&nbsp; Gary Meltzer<br>