Philo mello-barretoanum

Bob Riffle wrote:

> Mike, in my experience the leaves of P. selloum are undamaged by
> anything above about 26'F., but the trunk (if the plant has formed
> one) will survive about 22'F., and the root will resprout from
> as low a temp as 18'F .... sometimes <g>.
>
> HAS ANYONE IN THIS AUDIENCE EVER GROWN the spiny-trunked P.
> mello-barretoanum, if that's still a valid binomial!

Dear Bob...my understanding is that Mayo synonymised P.mello-barretoanum
under P. bipinnatifidum in his revision of the subgenus Meconostigma.
As I'm at work I don't have a copy here to check but that's what my
memory tells me. I have only seen photos of this plant but they do seem
pretty different plants to my amateur eye. I would dearly love to obtain
a plant or some seeds...any one out there who could help?

I'll check with my copy of Mayo and report back tomorrow!

regards Neil
Neil Crafter   Adelaide Australia
Philodendron collector