Re: Xanthosoma saggitifolia (malanga) or "Taro"? (fwd)

O.K., Julius et. al.  Based on all this discussion I bought a great big
malanga while in South Florida.  I plan to name it Xanthosoma "Winn
Dixie Dania Beach" if it turns out to be unusual.

On a serious note, the malanga has an obvious growing tip, although I
cannot tell if it is alive or dead, nor can I discern a color.  It is a
huge tuber in any case.
What about other grocery store items?  For example, Yuca or Sugar Cane?
Is there any hope of these sprouting?