Re: A tale of tubers & corms

When I think back to my college botany courses, I vaguely recall that a
tuber was a swollen root used for food storage.  Now there are several
cobwebs standing in the way of this memory but it seems that the
definitions that several have offerred also included the word "stem" when
describing corms and the word "root" when describing tubers.

I have absolutely no recollection as to the technical difference between a
stem and a root if they're both above or below ground but isn't there some
xylem/phloem difference between them?  It seems like the difference between
these two might be based on that.

Any botanists here (or anyone closer to their college botany text)?
        Les