Re: Aroids in the garden

E. George Oeser wrote:

> I ordered several plants today for a new area of my garden. Many of the
> plants will be aroids including Amorphophallus konjac, several Arisaemas,
> Pinellias, and a Alocasia macrorhizos. The area is fairly shady, tends to
> stay pretty moist, and is between to buildings. I live in zone 6b, but with
> the microclimate created by the 2 houses, and the fact that we are on a
> paeninsula in the middle of a fairly large lake I doubt that these plants
> will see temps near the -5 degrees Farenhite listed as the minimum for this
> area.
> My main concern is the fact that I will be putting these plants in the
> ground so late in the year, I am not too worried about the Amorphophallus,
> Arisaemas, or Pinellias, but I do worry a bit about the Alocasia. Should I
> keep it potted and winter it over inside before planting or would I have
> better luck putting it into the groud? The plant is supposed to be a good
> size already, and I think I could have it pretty well established before
> the first frost, but I am really stretching the limits of the hardiness of
> this plant as it is, what does everyone else think I should do?

I'overwinter it indoors, definitely. By next spring it should be 3-4 ft tall,
and then if you get enough humidity outdoors, you can expect it getting to
maybe 8 ft tall, with 4-5ft leaves.

Check out
or for a possible outcome - I think well worth an inconvenience of having it
indoors. In zone 6, it is not likely that you'll get enough growing season to
get it to the full size without a big head start indoors...

Krzysztof Kozminski
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
 pound in the correct screw."