Re: Aroids in the garden

-----Original Message-----
From: E. George Oeser <>
To: <>
Date: Monday, June 22, 1998 11:44 PM
Subject: Aroids in the garden

>>I ordered several plants today for a new area of my garden. Many of the
plants will be aroids including Amorphophallus konjac, several Arisaemas,
Pinellias, and a Alocasia macrorhizos. The area is fairly shady, tends to
stay pretty moist, and is between to buildings. I live in zone 6b, but with
the microclimate created by the 2 houses, and the fact that we are on a
paeninsula in the middle of a fairly large lake I doubt that these plants
will see temps near the -5 degrees Farenhite listed as the minimum for this
My main concern is the fact that I will be putting these plants in the
ground so late in the year, I am not too worried about the Amorphophallus,
Arisaemas, or Pinellias, but I do worry a bit about the Alocasia. Should I
keep it potted and winter it over inside before planting or would I have
better luck putting it into the groud? The plant is supposed to be a good
size already, and I think I could have it pretty well established before
the first frost, but I am really stretching the limits of the hardiness of
this plant as it is, what does everyone else think I should do?

E. George Oeser<<

Dear George,
What about keeping it in the pot, and "planting" the pot in the ground, so
that when it gets cold you can bring the plant, pot and all, inside?

Visit my online photo gallery!
The Oeser Family Network