Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Dear Julius,

Yes, we are concerned that the smaller inflor. won't be up to the task of
fruiting. Too bad the big, vigorous one did not open second instead. The
second inflor. was not even very fragrant. It did have an interesting
coloration, don't know if you saw the web photos....but it did not turn red
all the way to the edge of the spathe....had a green "picotee" around the
spathe edge. Also the color was more "orangy" than maroon. We'll see..

Can anyone tell me exactly what signs we should be seeing if we have
successful pollination?

I think we should have taken some tissue samples to see under the microscope.
The spathe tissue was most interesting...really big cells! Also the spadix
interior was full of thin white spider-webby fibers. I am afraid that by now
most of the tissues have deteriorated beyond the point of any use. The big
inflor. (the first one) is really holding up pretty well....the base of the
spadix (with female and male flowers) is still quite firm and does not seem
to be disintegrating. I will see about getting some sections made of this
tomorrow and have some microphotography done.

More later,
Donna

<<
 Dear Donna,
 Thanks for keeping 'us' up to date on your twin 'babies', and enjoy the
 well-deserved rest!
 I`d like to suggest that you keep your eyes on the second and smaller (also
 perhaps significantly, much less 'stinky') inflorsence.   It may just yet
 give another clue to something I`ve been seeing in some Aroids
 (Anaphyllopsis americana, for example), and which has been 'proven' in the
 genus Arisaema, which is the ability for a smaller ('weaker'?) plant to
 contribute to the gene pool by it`s pollen yet not it`s seed, as it is/may
 be unable to provide enough resources to support the development of seed
 during the long time it takes for an infructesence to develop.   Even if the
 pollenation on the second and smaller inflor. does not 'take', maybe a
 portion of the female zone should be preserved in spirit so that the
 structure of the female flowers would be available at a later date for
 dissection and analysis?   This may all be a moot point, as hopefully you
 will see signs of an infructesence developing soon!
 Please keep us informed, and again congrats!
 Sincerely,
 Julius >>