Re: Helicodiceros

> Date:          Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:46:25 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          Lucy & Jim Sampson <wiz@texas.net>
> Subject:       Re: Helicodiceros

> I would like to know if Helicodiceros is a very common plant here in the
> USA?   It comes from Sardinia and Corsica, so I am just curious about this,
> especially since I am getting some!
> Anything we can do to lessen the stench?   I don't have a back lot to stick
> it on away from our home!
> This is where I found info. about it but no pictures.
> http://daphne.palomar.edu/wayne/ww0602.htm#arums
>
> Thank you for any info. you might be able to give me about this plant.

Hi Lucy,

I grow Helicodiceros here 'downunder' in temperate zone 9 climate.
It is a huge clump in a bed flanked by Dracunculus vulgaris and
Dracunculus canariensis. In early spring it is a sight and smell to
behold. 'Gothic' shock / horror gardening at its best.

Go to my mate Greg Ruckert's web site at :
http://www.ezi-learn.com.au/areae/default.html
and under the'photo album' section there is a photo of my plant
flowering at the end of the page.
Note the flies (they are big flies !) and this will give you an idea
of the size of the inflorescence.

Helicodiceros needs a hot dry summer rest and is spurred into growth
by our cool and wet autumn / winter.
That is probably why they don't flourish in Florida Julius.

cheers,
              Rob.

Rob.McClure
Biological Sciences