Re: message from Phil Mueller

I can attest to this experience here in northern Illinois, USDA zone
4/5, where I was able to replenish my supply of A. konjak by visiting my
neighbor and "borrowing" several small tubers from around his foundation
facing east. These tubers were originally from a single one that I had
given them in the late 80s and although none had ever grown to more than
about 2" diameter, they survived winters here to minus 25F and minimal
snow cover. I found them at a depth of 8" - 12" below the soil surface
and up to 18" away from the foundation.

This raises a question. What is the depth of naturally occuring A.
konjak tubers of this size (2")? Were these the growing survivors below
a certain death-zone?

Tim McNinch