Re: taxonomic terms

O.k., it's hardcore time:

Homotypic synonym is a synonym(ous name) of a species based on the SAME type
specimen that was also used previously as the basis for an older (and
priorable) name. Or: at one time somebody came up with a name for a new
species and anchored that name to a type specimen and later a less observant
person, created a new name of that species based on that same type specimen
(gosh, I DO hope you know what type specimens are, or this explanation
doesn't make any sense). So the priorable name and its synonym are based on
the SAME (homo-) type (-typic) specimen.

Heterotypic synonym: a person creates name for a newly described species,
and achors that name to a type specimen. Later another person also
recognises that new species but from another specimen (apparently not having
seen the previous specimen with the older new name on it [we're talking
herbarium specimens or stuffed animal specimens.....]) and so he/she creates
a second name (synonym) for a species but anchored this name to a specimen
that is NOT the same (hetero-) specimen (-type) to which was anchored the
first and priorable name.

For further confusion: a type specimen is a preserved specimen of a species
upon which a taxonomist has based his/her name for that species. Or better:
the one specimen to which the name of a new species is forever anchored.
Blah, blah, blah........

Anyone understanding this needs treatment FAST!!!!!!!! (taxonomists
excepted, because they are already locked up in "herbaria"........which is a
homotypic synonym for "mental institution"....).