Re: X. violacium.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Thursday, March 09, 2000 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: X. violacium.

Dear Les,

You are correct about that!!  The people I do landscaping for at P.B. Polo
often comment on how reasonable the plant prices are here in Florida
compared to 'up North', then these same people will complain about paying
$10.00 for a 3 gal. established and flowering plant, installed with slow
release fertilizer!!!
I urge members to search out ethnic groceries in their neighborhoods and
towns, I often find Aroid and other 'treasures' in the Vietnamese, Indian
and Jamaican ones here in W.P.B., both for the palette and garden.   I
recently paid just a couple bucks for a LARGE tuber of Amorphophallus
paeoniifolius out of a carton of others being sold as food at 'my' local
Indian Grocery!!!!!!!!!
Good growing,

>>I suspect that financial difference doesn't stop at groceries.  Check our
restaurants, grocery stores and nurseries and you'll find everything
obscenely expensive up here.  Remember a discussion a while back?  I pay
$3.50 to $4.00 for one pistia whereas you're throwing hundreds onto a
compost pile.
So I'm not surprised - still at $3.50 a pound or $1.10 a pound, those
xanthosomas are a fine bargain.