Re: Alocasia dormancy

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Alocasia dormancy
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski <kk@netgate.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:38:12 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> geoffrey, right now i have A. Black Velvet, villanovii, micholitziana,
> Elaine, Hilo Beauty, all dormant.  interestingly enough, reversa has proven
> to be more resilient, and it is still green, although i can't seem to keep
> more than 2 leaves going at a time.  i guess my apt. is just not warm and
> humid enough?  in the summer, when the weather warms up, i hope they'll
> sprout again.

I can only advise re: A. Black Velvet: keep it humid and in low light.
Mine was languishing in the greenhouse (under 50 % shade cloth) and only
after I dumped it into the holding area under the table for
soon-to-be-junked pots, that it started growing and instead of the usual 2
leaves, sprouted about 10 of them.  Seeing that it recovered so nicely, I
put it back on the table, and it promptly went down to 4 leaves.  So now
it lives back under the table...

"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Krzysztof Kozminski