Re: Alocasia dormancy

gabe - I just plant them normally, say 1/2 -1 inch deep. Perhaps I have been
too casual about getting them going. I will start to worry more in future!

At a guess, the dry scales might have some water-soluble material inhibitory
to growth. I can visualise an unfavorable growing period in the annual cycle
of the plants which has led them to evolve this as a mechanism to hold back
germination until the corm has been exposed to enough water to wash out these
inhibitory substances - at which time there would be enough water  around to
sustain growth.  This sort of thing is common in seeds, but may not make any
sense at all for these guys if they are from an area with very little
seasonal change.  As I say, just a guess. Let's hope the method works, then
we can look at the whys!