Re: Anthurium splendidum

The plant you are calling Anthurium splendidum is now called A. luxurians, I
believe. Betsy mentioned in her message about two different species called A.
splendidum. The ones you saw at Selby are now correctly called A. luxurians
(these have very dark glossy bullate leaves and are extremely hard to grow
without very high humidity and warm conditions year round). The species now
correctly called A. splendidum was once mistakenly called A. corrugatum...but
I may be wrong about this point. Mixed up with this is the true Anthurium
corrugatum and the plant once called A. corrugatum but now called A.
splendidum. Are we are totally confused yet???

I hope someone clears up this issue and correct any mistakes I might have
made here, because I am still not certain about the way these species have
been sorted out.

We have tried growing Anthurium luxurians in several different media. I will
have to get info about what was done and report back to the list if one media
type was better than others. Our plants are looking pretty good now. If you
ever have them go down, they are very slow to recover, so the trick is to
keep them stable in cultivation and they will gradually put out new leaves
and grow slightly larger each year. It takes many years to get a plant to
produce a large leaf blade...Selby's plants are at least 15 years old.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens