Re: Re: Florida Arisaema.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Florida Arisaema.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:45:52 -0600 (CST)

Dear Folks,

Yesterday I came across a seemingly natural population of an Arisaema sp. in
Hobe Sound, just N. of Jupiter on the E. Coast of Florida.    This is way
South of where I had read they occur, which was I believe somewhere around
Gainesville, N. Florida.    It is in a tidal bog just W. of the
intercoastal, around Condos. 'A' and 'B' of a development called 'Loblolly
Bay', built on stilts over this black, wet smelly soil, sand fly infested
swamp!!!   A LOT were in bloom, the plants varied in size from 12" or so up
to 3 - 4 feet!   I know that there are two species recorded from Florida, A.
dracontium and A. triphyllium ( ? ), any know how I can tell the
difference??
LOTS of Peltandra virginica in this area also!!

I also noticed that Philo. 'Xanadu' is beginning to come into bloom, single
inflorescences emerging from the leaf sheaths of the younger leaves on
mature plants everywhere!

Good growing,

Julius Boos

WPB,