Arum italicum as an invasive weed? ID and advice needed.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Arum italicum as an invasive weed? ID and advice needed.
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@clark.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:33:04 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

I received email from a gardener in Oregon who had read my article on
Arum italicum and wrote saying that it had become a weed on her farm,
invading the garden and herb beds.  Since my one clump has not
expanded all that much in years and doesn't set seed regularly, I
replied wondering whether she could have another plant - and sent
links to various Arum images on the web.

She responded with two images of her problem plant, which I have put
up on the web at:

http://mtalt.hort.net/arum-tmp/arum-as-weed.html

It sure looks like Arum italicum to me, but I've never read anything
about this becoming an invasive weed.  Out of my depth here, so I
turn to all you Aroid gurus to help me help this person out.

Would you-all be so kind as to look at the images and let me know
whether this looks like it actually is Arum italicum.  If not, what
is it?  And, further is there any action that can be taken to curb
it, other than removing seed heads?  She says it's spreading
everywhere and the tubers are very deep; she's tried digging them
out, but finds she's just cutting off stems below ground.  She says
there are too many to really be able to dig them out (if it is A.
italicum, I should be so lucky as to have this problem!).  She also
says they have tried "various methods" of eradication with no
luck...I am assuming some kind of herbicide, but do not know exactly
what methods she has tried.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Marge

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@clark.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Online Nurseries 2001 - Weird Dude's Plant Zoo
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635