Re: Arum italicum as an invasive weed? ID and advice needed.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Arum italicum as an invasive weed? ID and advice needed.
  • From: "Plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:34:58 -0600 (CST)

That is definitely A. italicum var. 'pictum'.   I should be so lucky
to have it spread out!   For what they cost, I'd like to have more!
I've had a bed of about fifty plants out for three years and they've
not expanded outward any that I can tell.  Mine seem to be rather
shallow rooted and their tubers grows over on their side.  It must
be that Pacific Northwest climate and good rich dirt that is doing
it.  Here in NE TN we have long cool autumns that causes quite a bit
of growth, fairly cold winters that stops them and then wet springs
with wildly swinging temps until the long, hot and dry summer hits
that's sends them into dormancy.  Somewhat similar to their native
habitat from what I understand.  Maybe she should consider raising
them to sell, just buy a long nursery spade to get way down deep!

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (zone 6a where it's supposed to be 18F tonight)
plantsman@prodigy.net