Re: Colocasia kotoensis

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Colocasia kotoensis
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:27:16 -0600 (CST)

In a message dated 3/29/01 11:54:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk writes:

<< Is Colocasia kotoensis any different from C. esculenta? Have you seen the
 type of this species name? >>

I suspect the type is in Japan, since it was described by a Hayata, and I
have not had the priviliege of seeing it.  But I have seen the living plants,
and am not sure why it is named Colocasia -- the leaves are nothing like C.
esculenta, but look instead like a Philodendron (one long midrib, pinnate
veins, and not at all peltate).  However, the inflorescence may be more like
that of C. esculenta (green spathe, pointed at the tip, thick white spadix
completely within the spathe).  My identification was based on the
description and photo by Zheng and Lu (2000), in Chinese.  This was one
reason I wondered if any collections in the West were interested -- actually
having a specimen would allow for further study.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large