Re: alocasia DNA sample 1

  • Subject: Re: alocasia DNA sample 1
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:25:18 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: zonneveld <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: alocasia DNA sample 1

Dear Ben,

I am NOT good at Alocasias, but in Deni Bown`s second edition of her book
'Aroids--Plants of the Arum Family', Alocasia 'Tigrina superba' is
considered but a 'cultivar' of Alocasia zebrina (pg 184) .

Julius

>>Denis of Silver Krome Gardens Homestead Florida was so kind to
send me leaf a samples of 11 Alocasias. I measured their DNA and
got t some interesting results I will treat them in small groups for
you so as to invite your comment as I dont know anything about
Alocasias .
General: A sample of leaf was chopped with the standard Agave
americana of 15.9 pg Nuclei were""colored"" with propidium iodide
and measured one by one in a flow cytometer. About 5000 to
10.000 nuclei were measured and the values in Alocasia range
from 10 -22 picogram Furhter I noted that three samples had very
dark suspensions.
I found 11.2 picogram per nucleus for Alocasia tigrina superba and
11.6 pg for A zebrina reticulata . These values are too close for
comfort They might be closely related species or Could they be the
same species?
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden