Nomenclatural validities

  • Subject: Nomenclatural validities
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:32:40 -0600 (CST)

Dear Ben,

Last month it was suggested that you might like to write an article on your
Aroid DNA work for either the quarterly IAS Newsletter or the annual
Aroideana.  I am no longer the Editor of the Newsletter which is limited to
12 pages/issue,maybe not much more than 3000  words which includes News,
Reports, as well as articles, with photos & graphics.  Prior to my
resignation a superabundance of article material was "available" in fact
>12,000 words plus 35 photos.    I understand Newsletter 2002 (1) is now
already nearing its way to the Printers.  I am now in the final handover to
the new Editors.  They will presumably soon be in the position to prioritise
the mass of material for future use, hopefully with yours & other kind
people who had already notionally contracted with me.

When would you like those of us who are working on & culturing Spathiphyllum
to begin sending you leaves, & will you take cultivars as well please?
Because the "pedigrees" of the >160 "named" cultivars seem largely obscure,
I feel it might be helpful to have as much information as possible on their
DNA?   Even though it may be primitive, some kind of "Stud Book" for
Spathiphyllum cultivars might then be possible?  Most of the known world
SPECIES have been located, a surprising number of small plants of them are
here or in cultivation at other now known loci, & leaves can be sent as time

I have here some species with the same "names" which may be distinct, some
with different names which may be the same species or close, & species which
have names which seem to have no nomenclatural validity.  On occasions of
course this may be due to the labels in collections not being padlocked to
the plants.  And what "cultivars" are called often seems to depend on the
romantic imaginations or/and commercial exigencies of their previous
"owner(s)".   Long may your DNA work uphold all our quests for unequivocal

R. B. Iles