aroid hardiness

  • Subject: aroid hardiness
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:32:12 -0600 (CST)

Aroiders:

	I'm just back from a wonderful collection trip in northwest Argentina.  We
found quite a bit of both Gorgonidium vermicidium and Synandrospadix
vermitoxicus.  Gorgonidium superficially resembles an amorphophallus and
synandrospadix resembles a giant blue leaf skunk cabbage.

	From the locations and elevations, these should be hardy through zone 8
and possibly zone 7.  Most of the areas where we collected these reach 10 F
about every decade.  While I have tried and killed synandrospadix earlier,
that may have been a warm climate collection.  I am curious if anyone has
grown (or killed) either of these.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road