Re: Alocasia Polly + lowii

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia Polly + lowii
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:05:22 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: zonneveld <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 12:52 PM
Subject: Alocasia Polly + lowii

Dear Ben,

I did receive your previous posting, but things have ben bretty tough here
w/ me in the last few weeks, sorry that I did not acknowledge your kind
information.   I am glad that I could supply some information on the
'relationship' between Alocasia 'Tigrina superba', this came from the book
on Aroids by my friend Deni Bown, but I am not a big 'fan' of Alocasias, so
unfortunately can offer no information on the relationships of the ones
presently under discussion.   I hear that they are being produced by
Philipine growers, so who knows or can even discover what they may be doing
or what crosses they may be making with different species!

Best wishes,

Julius

>>Earlier I reported the following ( see below) about Alocasia lowii.
Although I did not get a response I will continue with some more
results. This time we look at Alocasia x amazonica Polly It is clear
from the leaf that it is thicker then the standard x amazonica were
it came from via tc. I measured an equal piece of leaf and found 14
mg for the standard and 20 mg for Polly so that fits HOWEVER it
turns out that the DNA is equal ie 10.1 pg So Polly  is not a
polyploid
EARLIER:
THanks Julius for the likely cv status of A. Tigrina Superba Now I
have a more difficult one I suppose From the leaves provided by
Denis from Silver Krome Gardens, I measured for Alocasia lowii
Veitchii 22.3 pg and for A lowii Grandis 18.4 pg So in my opinion
they are different species.Any comment  would be welcome
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands