Re: Alocasia / Colocasia questions

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia / Colocasia questions
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:06:19 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Piabinha@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 2:54 PM
Subject: Alocasia / Colocasia questions

Hello Buddy,

>>1) Alocasia sedenii - is this a hybrid of species?<<

I do not know!

>>2) Colocasia - although i'm growing a few Alocasia indoors, i'm having
problems cultivating Colocasias.  the last one i got just rotted... now, i
thought these plants grew in swamps and ponds.  how is it possible they rot
so easily?<<

They probably need a LOT more light than you can provide indoors.    Also,
try potting them in a very well-draining soil mix, and put about 3" of larva
rock in the bottom of their pot BELOW the soil, then stand them in a saucer
with only about 1-2" of water, this prevents the soil in the pot from being
UNDERWATER and rotting, the plant will send down roots into the rock/water
zone and out the drain holes.   Until the roots reach the water zone, water
from above, and change the water in thye saucer about every wek.   I use
this method with great sucess in growing all my aquatics.   Without the
rock-in-pots, the soil will rot, stink, and the plant will always die.