Re: aroid hardiness (synandrospadix)

  • Subject: Re: aroid hardiness (synandrospadix)
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:58:15 -0600 (CST)

Tony,

I did one inconclusive try with synandrospadix a few years ago (when my
plant was producing offsets, a thing most apparently do not. Mine hasn't
either lately, though it is flowering in the greenhouse right now.).

It was inconclusive because the tuber survived the winter outdoors, and
appeared to be in fairly good shape, but never started growth in the
spring. I suspect "curiousity blight" - I just couldn't help digging
around in the spring and I broke off the growing point. I don't know
whether that did it in - it wasn't a large offset - or the winter.

I really like this plant, and I've suspected it of being fairly hardy for
some time. Needless to say I'm looking around for something irresistable
to tempt you into a trade.

Steve

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Tony Avent wrote:

> 	I'm just back from a wonderful collection trip in northwest
> Argentina.  We found quite a bit of both Gorgonidium vermicidium and
> Synandrospadix vermitoxicus.  Gorgonidium superficially resembles an
> amorphophallus and synandrospadix resembles a giant blue leaf skunk
> cabbage.
> 	From the locations and elevations, these should be hardy through
> zone 8 and possibly zone 7.  Most of the areas where we collected
> these reach 10 F about every decade.  While I have tried and killed
> synandrospadix earlier, that may have been a warm climate collection.
> I am curious if anyone has grown (or killed) either of these.  Thanks
> in advance for any ideas.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu