Re: aroid hardiness (synandrospadix)

  • Subject: Re: aroid hardiness (synandrospadix)
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:36:06 -0600 (CST)

Steve:

	Thanks for the synandrospadix comments.  I really feel that hardiness of
this species may depend on provenence.  While I only brought back a couple
of bulbs, we do have green seed that may or may not ripen.  The seed heads
were simply striking...as beautiful as any hardy aroid that I have grown.
I was amazed to find it growing on roadside banks in full sun and even in
the middle of heavily traveled gravel roads...again in full sun.  The
tubers were usually about 18" below the soil surface.  I can't imagine that
it will not be hardy.   I'm drying the bulbs off in hopes of getting them
to adjust to the change of seasons.  We'll get them planted out in spring.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road