Re: Aroid hardiness - wandered OT

  • Subject: Re: Aroid hardiness - wandered OT
  • From: "James W. Waddick" <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:37:54 -0600 (CST)

>Dear Tsuh;
	I have the same experience with growing Alstroemeria not just
psitticina, but now the hybridizers (at least one) has taking this to
his advantage and produced over half a dozen rated to Zone 5 and 6.
(Tony sells these too).
	I've had Lilium formosanum in the garden for years and given
away hundreds of seeds.Love it. Eventually gets to 7 feet with
wonderfully scented flowers in late summer.
	I find it harder to "talk" potentially hardy aroids into
surviving (only have a one hardy Typhonium), but a surpirsing number
of Arum make it. Leaves do freeze back at times, but others come
back.
	Check out the literature on Rohdea japonica. Sometimes rated
zone 9 or 10 it has stayed evergreen to 0 here and survived our
record -23 with considerable leaf damage. I even have a couple of
those $100 cvs in the garden. 11 degrees this morning and they turn
that sickly frozen ice green, but defrost and grow on like it was
just a momentary 'burp'.

	Keep pushing the envelop. 	Jim W.

Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.