Re: Help with Amorphophallus & Sauromatum

  • Subject: Re: Help with Amorphophallus & Sauromatum
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:06:47 -0600 (CST)

Doug:

	Thanks for the clarification on the sauromatum (typhonium).  We have been
successful with Roundup (glyphosate) when the plant is actively growing.
Since the leaf has thick cuticle, I would suggest cutting the stem when the
plant is in active growth and simply pouring a few drops on the cut stem
surface.

	It is amazing how our plant paradigm has changed.  In the recent past a
plant was touted for its ability to "naturalize" in a garden.  Now plants
with this trait are the scourge of the world.  While few non-native plants
to a particular area are truly invasive over time (displacing natives in a
functioning ecosystem), those that become overly agressive in our gardens
should be on a watch list for our region.  Conversely, this is not a reason
to ban the plant from the entire country as the current system allows.  As
Doug points out, good gardeners spreading good information are the key in
making good decisions.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden