Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:47:39 EST

Hi Michael,
I am making an assumption that these plants are from Ecuagenera, in Ecuador
since it is highly unlikely that anyone else is growing, propagating and
selling these unusual Aroids.  I happen to work for Ecuagenera and can certainly
tell you how we grow them at the nursery.  Ecuagenera has a low-elevation nursery
where we grow most Aroids, even if they come from higher elevations; because
they will tolerate warmer temperatures and grow and propagate faster.  Both of
these species of Chlorospatha grow in the lower-elevation nursery at 2800
feet.  The humidity is very good at that location and they grow well and without
much interruption in terms of dormancy cycles.  The problem I have had with C.
mirabilis in cultivation ... in New York City (elevation ... 2nd floor,
Manhattan) is that it sometimes "calls for" a dormancy cycle and I have rotted out
the tuberous stem by not letting it dry off slightly.  The light requirements
for both species seems to be moderate to low.  The leaf shape and patterning
on both are quite spectacular.  If I were forced to give a difference in
cultural preferences, I might guess that C. "china" (not a species name) likes
relatively warmer temperatures than C. mirabilis, but culture of these species is
somewhat new for everyone.  Let us know what works for you!
Good growing - Michael Riley