Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:28:29 EST

hi michael,
    am anxious to see the photo of 'china' on your website.  let me know when
you post it.  sphagnum is great for re-starting stems that have decided to
give up at the apex!  if you do your final potting in sphagnum, don't pack it
tight.  something i neglected to mention-----because the plants require so much
moisture and need warm conditions and plenty of fertilizer, the medium tends
to break down rapidly, so i repot at least every year, often more frequently
with sphagnum-plantings.  Chlorospatha is notoriously difficult to grow and i
think most of that is attributable to their need for HIGH humidity and
intolerance of stale potting medium.  although they grow in very wet conditions,
soil-wise, the moisture is constantly moving through the substrate, so the soil and
water never go 'bad'.

Thanks everyone for all your help.  Yes, these did come from Ecuagenera and I
must say they are quite beautiful, healthy looking plants.  Hopefully I can
keep them this way in my greenhouse.  I put them in straight spaghnum and
probably pot the C. mirabilis up in a mix later in the spring.  I figure if I
can successfully grow these tough little guys I can grow just about
(J/K.)  Lynn, if you want I can send you pictures of the C. "china".  I know
VERY little about this genus so I couldnt tell you if this is a true hybrid
maybe an unidentified species?  Michael, do you know?   Will post pictures on
my website later if anyone else wants to look at them.