[aroid-l] Looking for Arums

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Looking for Arums
  • From: "C. J. Addington" <cjaddington@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:52:28 -0800

Hello Aroiders!
    I hope everyone is having a glorious March! Here in California we have
skipped spring, as usual, and gone straight into summer. It's hitting 80 deg
Fahrenheit in the afternoons, the peaches are in full bloom, and my tulips
are going berserk. I haven't seen a cloud in over a week.
    But now that you Northerners thoroughly hate me, I have an aroid-related
request to ask of you all. Along with tulips, it is also Arum blooming time
here in the Central Valley, and that always puts my thoughts toward my Arum
collection. Ever since I acquired my first Arum dioscoridis and experienced
it's lush blooms, I have been hooked on this genus. They grow very well in
my climate, and I have slowly picked up more and more species over the
years.
    To get to the point, I have now reached the stage where I have every
"good" Arum species listed in Peter Boyce's excellent book "The Genus Arum",
except for five. I would love to close the gap and complete my collection.
My goal is to have every Arum species on planet Earth growing in my
back-yard. (Don't ask me why - that's like asking a drug addict why they
take drugs. It must be a mental imbalance of some kind.)
    Needless to say, these last five are proving hard to get hold of
(otherwise I would have them already), and thus I turn to you, the great
aroiders of the world. If any of you are growing, know someone who is
growing, or know someone who is selling, any of these five species, I would
be extremely grateful for that information. If you would like to discuss
trades, sales or deals, please contact me personally, and we can talk. I
have all the other Arums in cultivation now and could probably provide
offsets or seed of many of them this summer, plus all the other Aroids I
grow. Tell me what are interested in, and I can tell you if I have it.
    I am looking for:
            Arum byzantinum
            Arum euxinum
            Arum hainesii
            Arum idaeum
            Arum lucanum

    Thanks in advance for your input. Beware the Ides of March, have a very
green St. Patrick's day, and happy vernal equinox!

Cheers!

C.J. Addington
cjaddington@earthlink.net