Re: [aroid-l] Anthuriums from Ecuador

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Anthuriums from Ecuador
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:42:12 -0800

If I may offer a few comments about your Anthurium plants;
I have been growing 2 of the very same beasts in my small
greenhouse (plus many more plants from Ecuagenera) for
a year or so.  Here's what to possibly expect:

The first species (A. grubii) will easily exceed 1 m. in height,
with the leaves & petioles each contributing equally.  It is a
gregarious grower for me and seems happy as a terrestrial.
As an adult the thick, stiff leaves are carried strictly upright atop
massive petioles; no bending or flopping as in your picture!
My plant seems to be ever blooming.  The rather large spathes
are greenish tinged with red, with faint darker green longitudinal
stripes; held perpendicularly to the spadix or slightly reflexed.
Inflorescences reach to the leaf bases or just below.  Spadices
are golden in color changing to red prior to anthesis (hmm, have
I got that backwards?); the spadix is quite large (6" +) and when in
its gold phase, is reminiscent of an ear of baby corn.

The third plant is a bit more of a climber/ rambler.  It's a much
slower grower for me, but the leaves are easily 16" long and at
least that dimension measured width-wise across the basal lobes.
Though the basal lobes do bend forward slightly, the much skinnier
pendant apex is quite planar and flat with a stunning velour like
sheen.  The mid-rib and collecting veins are vaguely metallic white.
Spathe & spadix are both light green, long and whip-like; my plant
has just put out its first inflorescence... and I'm hoping to now cross it
with  my big warocqueanum (hey, I can hope!).  Michael Riley told
me this plant was originally collected by in Tingo Maria, by the way.

All best,