Re: [aroid-l] Anthuriums from Ecuador

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Anthuriums from Ecuador
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:48:51 EST

hi geoffrey,
    nice to hear from you, even indirectly.  tom is in europe and might not
be on-line till he returns, so i'll do my best.  A. grubii (think it might be 2
"b's") is a new species from the amazon side of the Andes in Ecuador.  no
doubt tom IDd this for pepe while he was at ecuagenera.  you might find it on

A. variegatum gets its name from the juvenile leaves which i'm told are
variegated. i've not seen the juveniles.

i'm sorry, but i have no idea what the 3rd plant is.

Hi All,
Can anyone (particularly Tom Croat or Lynn Hannon if they are reading this)
help with some IDs for three Anthurium species? They were purchased from
Ecuagenera at a show in London and only two were labelled with possible
names. If you go to: www.members.aol.com/dgiscience/Anthuriums.html you will
the three species concerned (you MUST spell Anthurium with an uppercase A,
site is case sensitive).

On the left is a species which would seem close to A. lentii or
A.ovatifolium, it was labelled as A.grubii, a name I cannot trace. The leaves
are about six
inches in length, very thick and leathery and glossy on both surfaces, but
could well be young leaves.

In the centre is a species they labelled as A. variegatum, a good species
name but one which I do not have a description of, I fail to see what is
variegated if it IS this species! The petioles are strikingly red. The leaves
about ten inches in length.

On the right is an unnamed species which I at first thought was
A.panduriforme but the leaves are more slender and the leaf surface is
rather than glossy. The leaves are about ten inches in length. It looks
similar also to A.dragonopterum but the veins seem much further apart.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Geoffrey Kibby