[aroid-l] Amorphophallus albus dormancy?

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus albus dormancy?
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:52:39 -0500

I had two young tubers (not bulbils) of Amorphophallus albus that started
growth quite late in 2003. We had a nasty, cold spring in New England and
all the amorphs were slow.  When fall arrived I was afraid they hadn't had
enough growth time, so I took them inside under artificial light.

One of them has just gone dormant, leaf collapsed, the tuber is healthy
although not much larger than last year, I don't think. The second plant
still has its leaf!  Will I be able to coax the one that just went dormant
back into growth? The IAS web site's Amorph cultural page says the
after-leaf dormant "period may take 3 to 7 months."  I hate to try to put
the plant on my time schedule, but having it perpetually growing during the
winter wouldn't be my first choice!

Is there an Amorphophallus alarm clock that I can use to wake this guy up
when the rest of my plants are starting to grow?

Ken Mosher