Re: [aroid-l] Looking for Arums

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Looking for Arums
  • From: PETER BOYCE <peterboyce@myjaring.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:10:26 +0800

Not as whacky as it might sound. A great deal of early botanical
exploration in Asia was undertaken by botanists attached to military
expeditions - indeed, quite a few of the military folks were the
botanists as well (e.g., Younghusband). Of course all this was done
during the time that wars were fought by guys in brightly coloured
uniforms armed with nothing more sophisticated than a rifle and a sword.
I suspect that things have changed and that with modern warefare
techniques squatting down with a vasculum and a handlens to insepct some
interesting piece of the vegetation might turn out to be a brief and
painful experience... 'Now, couplet three.... leaves hairy vs leaves...
what the Hell was tha#@$? '

Pete