Re: [aroid-l] growing tip of Alocasia

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] growing tip of Alocasia
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:18:16 -0500

I always peel all the dry scales off, even if they start off looking like a
normal tip. I go down until the nice green or red bud is fully exposed. I
have some slight experimental evidence from a propagation class that I
taught that these scale inhibit growth until they have been soaked for a
long time. We did the experiment for several years of classes, with
consistent results of more rapid growth from peeled than unpeeled. I never
tried making an extract of the scales, though, to see if I could inhibit
anything with them. Derek