Re: [aroid-l] growing tip of Alocasia

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] growing tip of Alocasia
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:59:54 -0800

tsuh yang,

Due to the requisite delay in messages posting, this may
come after a flurry of responses and be redundant.  But
at this moment no one has replied, so...

In my experience with Alocasia cultivation one of two
things are likely to happen, assuming the stem of your
subject plant isn't subversively rotting from the bottom/ up
(alocasias  have a nasty habit of doing that sometimes!):

1) The apical growing point will continue to expand and
develop new leaves, despite your snapping off the tip.

2) The break point was too low and a side-shoot(s) will
in time dominate and grow out.

Best of luck!
 -Dan

p/s- fyi: all plants received from you many moons ago
are doing well here in the SF bay area!