[aroid-l] Calla lilies in small pots?

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Calla lilies in small pots?
  • From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:27:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks!
This is the first year I'm going to try growing calla lilies, and I've been reading some basic gardening resources about planting their rhizomes.  Some of the resources say you can plant them in very small pots - 6", for example.
While I've seen calla lily plants with blooms offered at florists in small pots, I was wondering if this is an optimal growing condition for them.   Will you end up getting just a few blooms, and then having the plant go quickly into dormancy?  Any other disadvantages/advantages to growing them in small pots?
Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.....
-Roz in Southern California