Re: [aroid-l] Air layering ?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Air layering ?
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:39:47 EST

hi skip,
    i've used air-layering a lot for propagating really difficult or big
'woody' stems of Philodendron and Anthurium with good success.  the procedure is
typical.....i wrap a bunch of wet sphagnum, with the water squeezed out, around
one or more nodes, then wrap that up tight with aluminum foil, making a
small, funnel of the foil on the top end of the wrap...then wrap in plastic,
securing with twist-ties or nursery wire.  if you're doing this outdoors, without
the irrigation you'd have in a greenhouse, then you need to make sure the
sphagnum isn't drying out.
    for tip cuttings, i find it easiest to lay them in a tray of damp
sphagnum; place the tray in a plastic bag, seal off the bag and put the whole thing
somewhere in the shade.

lynn
All,
Hello. I came across some cuttings of "Rhaphidophora Decursiva" from
a friend. I am curious if anyone has tried "air layering" as a
propagation technique ? If so, do you have any tips on what is the
best way to do this ? Any tips on how to propagate from cuttings would
be greatly appreciated. I don't have any leafs just some long stems with
several "joints".

Cheers,
Skip