[Aroid-l] Fertilizing Mediterranean climate aroids

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Fertilizing Mediterranean climate aroids
  • From: "Leo A. Martin" leo1010@attglobal.net
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:29:28 -0700

Hello,

I have been growing for several years small plants of
Arum creticum (from Odyssey Bulbs)
Helicodiceros muscivorus (from Telos Rare Bulbs)

They are in glazed ceramic pots about 8 inches / 20cm across and 12 inches / 30cm deep - Chinese ginger jar style with bottom holes. They have not bloomed yet.

I have them in heavy clay-like local soil, which stays moist longer in our warm, arid winters and hot, dry springs. So-called well-drained soil mixes dry out very rapidly here, and the first year when I had them in that kind of soil I couldn't water enough. This heavy soil seems to work here.

(By the way, we have had plenty of rain this winter! The Arizona desert wildflower displays will be almost the best ever this spring.)

The leaves look healthy and the plants do grow, but it seems they grow slowly compared to some tropical aroids. Should I be fertilizing these plants much? I have fertilized about once monthly with a balanced water-soluble fertilizer but maybe I can get them to grow (and bloom) faster?

Thank you,

Leo
--
Leo A. Martin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Some must watch while some must sleep-so runs the world away.
Shakespeare