Re: [Aroid-l] Zantedeschia hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Zantedeschia hardiness
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:05:53 -0600 (CST)

Similar story here, Bonaventure. (NW Arkansas, solid USDA zone 6, little snow
cover, wildly fluctuating temps rarely down to -20 F [-29 C] in winter.)
Except that for me, they're all hardy except the one that should be, Z.
aethiopica, the big white one.

I've had a couple of varieties out for more than 10 years now, and several
generations of their children as well. Others just a year or two, but so far
seem equally happy. At this point, except for aethiopica, which just isn't
going to grow outdoors for me, I toss them in the ground and am very confident
that they'll show up next year, regardless of their parentage.

Steve

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 bonaventure@optonline.net wrote:

> Sue, I'm here in central coastal NJ where Alberta clippers have been bringing
> near 0F temps regularly in winter. Its still cold and the top of the garden
> soil is still frozen, but Zanties,a small floriferous pink and a medium white
> with white-speckled leaves, are buried deep within the sandy sub-soil, and
> have for several years been getting several inches of organic mulch a year. A
> 'Goliath Yellow' or something like that, has not survived. They sprout and
> quickly come into bloom in early summer. Bonaventure Magrys Cliffwood Beach,
> NJ

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com