[Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum seedling query

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum seedling query
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:08:11 +1100

Howdy All,

I am wondering what the normal habit for seedling Amorph titanums is?  I am aware that some of the Amorphs send up a succession of leaves for quite some time until their first dormancy, while others basically send up a first leaf which is held until it's first dormancy.  I really didn't know what to expect with titanum but out of 4 seedlings I am having anomolous results so I thought I would ask.  I got the seeds from Troy when he was selling them (Hopefully Troy is OK, with people not hearing from him) and I had expected them all to behave the same.

As you have probably guessed by now they haven't done that.  Three of the seedlings have produced a single first leaf and remained that way ever since.  The fourth however sent up a second leaf after a couple of months which was a nice surprise as I wasn't sure if the titanums were this type of grower as a seedling or not......... well none of the others are.  I would have put it down to just being an oddity that it for some reason produced a second leaf except that now it is producing a third leaf while the others still have only a single leaf.  Maybe it has natural steroids in there, or else it is intending to take over my house maybe?

So........ Is this variance in behaviour normal for titanum or do I just have a seedling that really wants to grow. <grin>  Do I repot it while in full growth, or should I just be fertilising it like mad to try to provide nutrition for it's growth?  I am really not sure what to do re fertilising the titanum..... they have had their first leaves for much longer than any other Amorphs I have grown from seed and I am figuring that the slow release bulb food has by now been exhausted and I need to start liquid feeding or repotting them.  Any advice on which I should do?  The 4 inch pot that the rampant seedling is growing in is currently starting to look a little crowded, so I think I am going to have to do something sooner rather than later.  I don't have the experience to judge this one accurately so thought I would ask our experts on this list.  Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

All the best everyone!!

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia - USDA Zone Equivalent approx. 8/9

Growing an eclectic collection of plants from all over the world including Aroids, Crocus, Cyclamen, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Galanthus, Irises, Trilliums (to name but a few) and just about anything else that doesn't move!!

Aroid-l mailing list