Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus container size

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus container size
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:51:21 +0000

From : 	Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
Sent : Thursday, March 9, 2006 7:30 PM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Wayne and Ken,

I am not an grower of these 'stinkys', but a few comments. That a species forms its new tuber right at the bottom of the pot seems to say that this species LIKES to be potted/grow deep, there are special pots (palm seedling pots) for these. Concerning the size of pots used, THE best Amorphophallus grower I ever met, Craig Allen ex: of Fairchild Gardens in Miami, in his wonderful article on his experiences with both growing and flowering his giant species of Amorphophallus' (published in a past Aroideana), discovered by chance a formula---under-pot (yes, even A. titanum!) if you want to obtain tuber/corm divisions/new corms, and over-pot then fert. like hell to promote tuber size increase and the chance of flowering!
Good luck/growing!

Julius

Wayne,
I think that the species that can put on a lot of size from season to season benefit from overpotting, but I can't see any benefit to putting a 4" corm in a 15-20 gallon container. That space will be wasted, and since none of us are satisfied with only 3 or 4 plants space becomes an issue quickly.

-Ken

Wayne Mrazek wrote:
I am new to the list. I grew A species in the 80's for about 10 years, and
am now just returning to the culture of this genus. It is amazing what the
Internet has done to the availablilty of both info and plants over the last
few years! It used to be very difficult to find another grower, and that
was the only way to get new species other than konjac. Like others, I have
found that buying Amorphophallus on Ebay can become addicting.

I have seen several comments that Amorphophallus can be grown in small pots.
Although possible, I believe growth is much better when they are over
potted. I like to put a 4 inch corm in a 15-20 gallon pot if available.
Even then, some plants will form a new corm right on the bottom of the pot.
Do the experts on the list have an opinion about this? (I realize that a
large pot becomes a liability when the plant goes dormant)

Thanks,

Wayne Mrazek
Yorba Linda, CA
__