Re: [Aroid-l] FW: D. (loritense) spruceanum--food

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] FW: D. (loritense) spruceanum--food
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:11:47 +0000

From : 	Abrimaal <abrimaal@wp.pl>
Sent : Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:37 PM
To : "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : Re: [Aroid-l] FW: D. (loritense) spruceanum fruit.

Dear Marek,

Nothing 'terrible' here, just a sharing of information which builds knowledge amongst us all!
Yes, the rhizomes/tubers ("chubas"!!) of several species of Dracontium were and still are consumed, when cooked, throughout much of their range, either roasted or boiled. I have had the pleasure of collecting, cooking and eating those of Drac. asperum back in my native Trinidad, W.I. My report was that when boiled they were much like a wettish/sticky form of taro, but eminently edible, especially if cooked within a pea soup!!
My dear friend and mentor Dr. Tom Croat of MOBOT, and myself, have had several 'battle royals' over my suggestion that ancient man probably used this genus, together with Xanthosoma and other non-aroids, as a canoe 'journey food', and so it was transported by them up the chain of West Indian islands all the way (according to existing herbarium records) from the South American mainland up the chain of smaller islands to Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. In addition, also according to herbarium records, the widely distributed species D. spruceanum, is the only Dracontium sp. recorded in the wild from both the Amazonian and Pacific sides of the Andes, and up into Cen. America!! It (as in your record) is still widely consumed by indigenous peoples in several areas where it is found, and is easily transportable and a long-lasting "journey food". The genus is also a PERFECT candidate to establish itself in new areas once man stops to cook it, as the small bulbils which exist on all rhizomes, will detach and grow where they fall. Ancient man would also have found it benificial to help it establish itself in new lands along his frequently travelled journey routs.
Thanks for your interest and response! One more mystery solved!

Good Growing,

Dear Julius,
What a terrible mistake I've made. Not fruits - the rhizomes.

You may read it here

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>