Re: [Aroid-l] COOKING Lemna minor

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] COOKING Lemna minor
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:13:47 +0000

From : 	<bonaventure@optonline.net>
Sent : Friday, March 24, 2006 4:34 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : Re: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor

Dear Friends,

"There is a pleasure in being MAD that none but madmen know"---Hillel. ( ? ).

IF I had enough Lemna, maybe I`d try it in a recipe I use for other 'greens', Jamaican 'spinach' ("Chorai badji"), a wild-growing (in Florida and the W.I.) species of Amaranth sold at Jamaican and Indian groceries here in Florida, being my favorite. Just saute 1/2 chopped yellow onion, two or three finely chopped cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste, a pinch of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of black-pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder, in about a tablespoon of veg. oil heated in a sauce pan, stir, add the chopped greens (or Lemna, if you can scrounge enough clean weed!), stir, add about 1/4 cup or a dash of boiling water, stir, cover the pot and steam for about 3 mins., or until the greens are tender. Serve over or as a side-dish to rice.

Good Growing,

Julius

Yes, and look at us now, with all the plants... we're all nuts!
Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood Beach, NJ USA zone 7

Cliffwood Beach, NJ USA zone 7