Re: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor
  • From: "Abrimaal" abrimaal@wp.pl
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:51:52 +0100

Lemna has no leaves :P

Marek
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:30 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor

In the spirit of reckless scientific curiosity, I tasted a few specimens of Lemna minor last night. I am pleased, and somewhat disappointed to record that I could not detect any taste at all. They have a pleasant sort of crispy texture and might serve to bulk up a salad in an interesting way. On the other hand, Lemna patches in the wild host vast numbers of small animals and such, so cleaning them sufficiently for human consumption would be a problem. So caution is urged for the daring. But my home-raised Lemna, a nuisance rather than a deliberate cultivation, are quite clean and I had no qualms about fishing out a few for the experiment. And here I am this morning, still alive, with no apparent ill-effects from the experience.

I speculate that I am the only person on this list to have consumed a whole raw aroid, including leaves, in one sitting.

Ted.