Re: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tasting Lemna minor
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:29:42 +0000

Guys,

I really enjoy experience new tastes and foods. However, Lemna are fast growing plants that are used to remove metal traces from ponds (including toxic metals). I am part of a project that studies the ability of Lemna and Pistia to grow and remove metallic traces from contamined ponds, so they can be completely removed if you take plants out of the water. That means that you should be worried not only with the extra proteins from worms and water bugs but with what kind of neurotoxic or carcinogenic metals you are eating. If you are planning to eat Lemna, follow Julius' recipe (seems tasty...), but cultivate your own plants in safe water.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia