Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron verrucosum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron verrucosum
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein ecuador@midsouth.rr.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:22:29 -0600

Philodendron verrucosmum has many variations or if you are a botanist, many species that are similar. I have seen the leaves get to be huge and in full sun and I have seen it small at very high altitude in the Andes where it is cold as stew. It seems to just range along in the understory usually. Some have the hairy petioles and some do not. Some have tons of red veination and much color and others are more monochromatic. Another words, my verrucosmum may not be the same bird as your verrucosum. One thing for sure, some of them are gorgeous................ I grow it in a greenhouse and it wanders all over the place but try to tame it, and you may be sorry. Cutting it when it is not a good time for it and you may well kill all of it, both the cutting and the base. Then again, it may just take off. Sort of like other philos for me.

Good growing to all......... Betsy

Neil Crafter wrote:
Dear MJ
I love P verrucosum, one of my favourite philos, with its red infusion at the back of the leaf blade and the branching pattern venation - plus the 'hairy' petioles! But its a bugger to grow - very sensitive I have found and I think it likes very high humidity and doesn't seem to like getting too cool. My plants leaves are fairly small and the internodes get fairly long and the stem fairly thin, but I have seen it in the tropics with rather large leaves and thick stem.
A lovely, but difficult plant in my experience.
cheers Neil

Neil Crafter
Philodendron enthusiast
IAS Board member