[Aroid-l] Philo selloum ID

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Philo selloum ID
  • From: "Sherry Gates" TheTropix@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:23:44 -0600

Hi everyone,
  I have a large Philodendron selloum that I found hacked down on the side of the road last May.  It was dark when I found it, so all I could tell immediately was that it was very big and had about a 4 1/2 ft. trunk.  I brought it home and soaked it in a large wagonfull of water with Ironite, Superthrive, and a starter fertilizer (just a little weaker than they called for) for about 5 days, then we planted the stalk about 3 ft. deep.  The entire plant is much larger than even the biggest P. selloums I've looked at, and I have done some serious looking! The leaves were over 50 in. long. and easily 36 in. across.  The veins are larger, the flowers, the petioles...everything about this plant is much larger than others.   Where the leaf meets the petiole (on top) there is a growth that starts out like a little pigtail, and grows into a strange leaf or plantlet or something.  It has rooted since, but hasn't resumed growth just yet, but is definitely alive.
    I am hoping that maybe y'all might have an answer about it. I'm including a picture, if you want to see more pics...just ask.  I took several after it was planted and still had the huge green leaves.
  Since I found it, it seems like my husband & I have looked at every big selloum we've seen since.  We haven't seen anything like it.  It's absolutely beautiful!
   Thanks for letting me take up your time.  :)

Aroid-l mailing list