Re: [Aroid-l] Philo selloum ID

Where the leaf meets the petiole (on top) there is a growth that starts out like a little pigtail, and grows into a strange leaf or plantlet or something. It has rooted since, but hasn't resumed growth just yet, but is definitely alive.
Sherry

Good Golly Miss Molly! this really is HUGE! I seek out such plants for personal viewing pleasure all over California...there was an era of home building and philodendron hybridizing which has yielded a late fifties to early sixties 'selloum' which gets very big, leathery, dark green and altogether terrific, even in the dry air of Southern California. I believe the only huge leaves i have seen such as yours are photographed in habitat in old editions of Exotica. but that THING coming out where the rachis joins the leaf, that is one odd piece of work for me, although i have seen such leaf extensions or whatever they are called, on other very enthusiastic plants.

I am interested to hear what the Florida members have to say about this, since some of them live in much kinder climates for landscape philodendrons. just think, this is only a baby, still in its terrestrial state, not having yet climbed to the top of a rainforest giant!

hermine