Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium regale and the Issue of Botanical Specimens

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium regale and the Issue of Botanical Specimens
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:02:40 -0600

Thank you Ted.  And thanks to Dr. Croat, Julius, LariAnn, Ron Kaufmann and the others who have guided me through observing this plant.  I did it because I was curious.  And now I feel there is much more to learn.  So the next time the plant produces a spathe I will be sitting there with camera in hand to document what I see again.  Hopefully I will learn a bit more each time.

I make no claim to being a botanist.  I am not botanically trained.  I just like to read and observe the plants in my collection.  And I encourage you all to do the same.  Dr. Croat has made comments along the entire 70 plus days pointing me in the right direction and away from some of the crazy things I wanted to assume in error.  As a result, I learned a lot about anthurium reproduction.  And may have discovered a few things others have missed before.  So, grab a camera and a notepad and watch your plants when they produce a spathe.  You never know what you just might learn.  Besides, it has been fun!

Thanks again Ted, and all the others who have helped.  Hopefully after I observe this plant do this a few more times we will all know more about this unbelievably beautiful species from Peru.

Steve Lucas